Select * is very slow

From: "shaiju(dot)ck" <shaiju(dot)ck(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Select * is very slow
Date: 2010-11-08 06:16:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,
I have a table employee with 33 columns.
The table have 200 records now.
Select * from employee takes 15 seconds to fetch the data!!!
Which seems to be very slow.
But when I say select id,name from empoyee it executes in 30ms.
Same pefromance if I say select count(*) from emloyee.

Why the query is slow if I included all the columns in the table.
As per my understanding , number of columns should not be having a major
impact on the query performance.

I have increased the shared_buffres to 1024MB, but no improvement.
I have noticed that the query "show shared_buffers" always show 8MB.Why is
this? Does it mean that changing the shared_buffers in config file have no
impact?

Can anybody help?

Shaiju