Re: Large SGML Cleanup

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large SGML Cleanup
Date: 2010-11-03 14:24:38
Lists: pgsql-docs
On tis, 2010-11-02 at 22:56 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> This HTML fails validation, as one isn't supposed to be stuffing
> tables inside <p> nodes. The attached patch fixes all the instances of
> this I could find, by closing out <para> nodes before beginning lists
> and tables.

Um, this is like moving around the C code because the compiler generates
invalid assembly code.  Fix the compiler.

That said, we have the following in stylesheet.dsl:

;; Block elements are allowed in PARA in DocBook, but not in P in
;; HTML.  With %fix-para-wrappers% turned on, the stylesheets attempt
;; to avoid putting block elements in HTML P tags by outputting
;; additional end/begin P pairs around them.
(define %fix-para-wrappers% #t)

So evidently someone thought of this before and put something in to
prevent some/many/most cases.

In general, I think the more efficient way to address this overall
problem is to run the resulting HTML through tidy and be done with it.