Re: global temporary tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: global temporary tables
Date: 2010-04-26 20:06:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> The current definition of Hot Standby is that it's a *read only*
>> behavior. Not read mostly. What you are proposing is a rather
>> fundamental change in the behavior of HS, and it doesn't seem to me
>> that it should be on the head of anybody else to make it work.

> That's a dangerous precedent you just set.

[ shrug... ] If you have near-term solutions for all the *other*
problems that would be involved (like what XID to put into rows you
insert in the temp tables) then I might think that what you're asking
Robert to do is reasonable. Personally I think non-read-only HS is
entirely pie in the sky, and therefore it's not reasonable to saddle
unrelated development tasks with an expectation that they should work
with a behavior that probably won't ever happen.