Re: Empty bytea format - 9.1devel pg_dump and psql

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Kokovic <kokovic(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Empty bytea format - 9.1devel pg_dump and psql
Date: 2010-10-18 15:45:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Vladimir Kokovic's message of sáb oct 16 15:45:02 -0300 2010:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether it is OK, a blank format for bytea, which is presented
> in 9.1devel (pg_dump and psql)

Yeah, an empty bytea is now output differently by default (just like any
other bytea). The \x means "this bytea is output as a sequence of hex
pairs"; followed by no other chars, it represents an empty bytea.

Is this a problem? I find it slightly funny on stuff like \d default
values and such, but not enough to merit a special case.