Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)

From: stagirus <mamasa(at)stagirus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)
Date: 2010-10-01 22:17:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc

>>I still don't understand why you won't fix your application code to use
Hibernate how it's designed to be used. You're using half of Hibernate's..

If it was a simple thing on our application side, why would I be wasting my
time and your time this much!

Our product is developed based on certain architectural principles. It was
all developed for the past four years. Unfortunately, your suggestions are
too invasive and not even feasible. Per our architecture, Hibernate is
simply an ORM tool. Period. Not any sort of database administration tool.
There are better tools for that job.

Your argument of boolean is not same as short in Java. Agreed. Do you
believe programing languages are same as RDBMS engines? I do not think so.

We all know there is no universal definition or support for boolean columns
(storage class as it is called) in RDBMS except in Postgresql. Check ANSI
SQL. Sorry no boolean!

So the real question to the JDBC experts as you all - how is this difference
between boolean in programming language(Java) and RDBMS/JDBC should be
resolved? I like the way other RDBMS have resolved this difference.

Why wouldn't you (Postgresql)?

If you observe the discussions on this topic, unfortunately Postgresql has
created the biggest incompatibility for boolean fields. You know the reasons
- you treat boolean as chars unlike everybody else (0, 1 or -1). PLEASE
LISTEN TO THE CRIES OF THE WORLD!