Re: git diff --patience

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git diff --patience
Date: 2010-10-01 13:38:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Kevin Grittner's message of jue sep 30 16:38:11 -0400 2010:

> When I read the description of the algorithm, I can't imagine a
> situation where --patience would make the diff *worse*. I was
> somewhat afraid (based on the name) that it would be slow; but
> if it is slower, it hasn't been by enough for me to notice it.

There is a very simple example posted on some of the blog posts that
goes something like

aaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbb
xyz

and the "xyz" is moved to the front. In this corner case, the patience
diff is a lot worse.