Re: recovery.conf location

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery.conf location
Date: 2010-10-01 12:40:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:47 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Right, but instead of having to provide such a tool, we could just
> >> store the status as a text file. There is a pretty time-honored
> >> tradition for that, ya know.
> >
> > And then move all the other config parameters to postgresql.conf?
>
> The consensus seems to be to move only parameters for the standby server
> (except standby_mode) to postgresql.conf. That is, primary_conninfo and
> trigger_file.

I think we should allow them to be set in both places. I see no point at
all in invalidating everybody's configuration settings; we have many
external products that use this, various open source projects rely on it
plus everybody's roll-your-own scripts.

All new settings would be added to postgresql.conf

We can keep recovery.conf but recommend it is now left empty. So the
status is the existence of that file, just as it is now.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com