Re: is sync rep stalled?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is sync rep stalled?
Date: 2010-09-30 08:14:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 09:09 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 29.09.2010 10:56, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> This feature is important, and we need to get it done. How do we get
> >> the ball rolling again?
>
> Agreed. Actually, given the lack of people jumping in and telling us
> what they'd like to do with the feature, maybe it's not that important
> after all.

I don't see anything has stalled. I've been busy for a few days, so
haven't had a chance to follow up on the use cases, as suggested. I'm
busy again today, so cannot reply further. Anyway, taking a few days to
let us think some more about the technical comments is no bad thing.

I think we need to relax about this feature some more because trying to
get something actually done when basic issues need analysis is hard and
that creates tension. Between us we can work out the code in a few days,
once we know which code to write.

What we actually need to do is talk and listen. I'd like to suggest that
we have an online "focus day" (onlist) on Sync Rep on Oct 5 and maybe 6
as well?. Meeting in person is possible, but probably impractical. But a
design sprint, not a code sprint.

This is important and I'm sure we'll work something out.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com