psql -c "select * from a-user-name-that-exist fails

From: lalebarde <l(dot)alebarde(at)free(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql -c "select * from a-user-name-that-exist fails
Date: 2010-09-23 23:14:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I have just installed PostGreSQL on my Gentoo Linux Desktop for the first
time. Installation is ok. Then, I have started to install an application
that uses PostGreSQL. To test if I am declared as a user in the data base,
it executes the command :

psql -c "select * from laurent

More precisely this bash script :

function exit_if_no_postgres_user
{
set +e
( psql -q template1 -c "select * from pg_user;" | grep $1 ) \
>/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]
then
echo ""
echo "*** Error: No postgresql user '$1'"
echo ""
exit 1
# else
# echo "Good: Postgresql can be accessed by $1"
fi
set -e
}
USER=$(whoami) is passed as an argument which is $1

laurent being the user's name. The error is triggered, thought laurent was
declared with the command : createuser -d -A laurent. laurent appears in the
pgadmin3 roles list. As far as I have understood the documentation, roles
and users are the same thing.
Besides, I am surprised by the "template". What is it for ?

Any clue why I get this error ?