Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-23 06:20:19
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 18:24 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> I feel like that's really nice and simple.

There are already 5 separate places to configure to make streaming rep
work in a 2 node cluster (master.pg_hba.conf, master.postgresql.conf,
standby.postgresql.conf, standby.recovery.conf, password file/ssh key).
I haven't heard anyone say we would be removing controls from those
existing areas, so it isn't clear to me how adding a 6th place will make
things "nice and simple".

Put simply, Standby registration is not required for most use cases. If
some people want it, I'm happy that it can be optional. Personally, I
want to make very sure that any behaviour that involves waiting around
indefinitely can be turned off and should be off by default.

ISTM very simple to arrange things so you can set parameters on the
master OR on the standby, whichever is most convenient or desirable.
Passing parameters around at handshake is pretty trivial.

I do also understand that some parameters *must* be set in certain
locations to gain certain advantages. Those can be documented.

I would be happier if we could separate the *list* of control parameters
we need from the issue of *where* we set those parameters. I would be
even happier if we could agree on the top 3-5 parameters so we can
implement those first.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com