Postgresql & Deadlocks

From: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql & Deadlocks
Date: 2010-09-10 07:03:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Good day all

I just wanted to follow up again on a previous post by asking
the questions differently after doing a lot of research into the matter.

A previous post was related to table locking on postgresql
and current locks monitoring providing counts including those for access
share locks as well.

What we are more interested in monitoring though is more
specifically deadlocks on the databases, however from some research into
the matter it seems that Postgresql is supposed to manage deadlocks on
its own as it is detected by killing one of the processes.

Thus, from what I understand it is not something that
should really require monitoring (even though we are still looking for
methods to monitor the amount detected during the last 24 hours.).

I would however now like to know the following, in terms
of server performance and availability, is there any aspects of
table/row locking that can be monitored, which can perhaps cause
problems?

Any other suggestions for something specific to postgresql
databases that needs to be kept an eye on for the same reason would also
be appreciated as I am fairly new to postgresql.

Regards
Machiel