Re: Exclude constraint problem

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exclude constraint problem
Date: 2010-08-30 23:23:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 14:05 -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Short version:
>
> I dumped a table with an exclude constraint with pg_dump, and loaded it
> into another instance of postgres where it promptly failed to create the
> constraint. The complaint was... key conflicts with key. IOW,
> duplicate data.
>
> This should not happen, correct? If it *should* happen, why? If it
> shouldn't happen, where should I start looking?

Are you using any floating point values, or floating-point timestamps
(that's a compile-time option)?

If you dump a floating-point value, and then reload it, it may be
different than the one you started with. That can cause a problem with
either UNIQUE or EXCLUDE constraints.

If you are not using floating point values, please try to make a
self-contained test case that includes data that can reproduce the
problem.

Regards,
Jeff Davis