Re: Indent authentication overloading

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indent authentication overloading
Date: 2011-03-19 15:24:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Here's an updated patch that removes this log message, and adds a few
> lines to initdb to create a combination of ident/peer rows. And
> finally, adds docs.

> Comments?

As near as I can tell (I hate reading u-style diffs) you've documented
the ident and peer keywords as being mutually exclusive, ie, the docs
say that the correct keyword for the connection type *must* be used in
pg_hba.conf.  Which is not how the code behaves, and shouldn't be how
the code behaves, for backwards-compatibility reasons.  The docs need
to state the truth, namely that "ident" is still allowed as a synonym
for "peer" on local connections.  Otherwise people will get confused
as to why their pg_hba files still work.

The code changes look sane in a quick scan, though I didn't read them
in detail.