Upgraded from 7.4 to 8.1.4 QUERIES NOW SLOW!!!

From: smiley2211 <smiley2211(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgraded from 7.4 to 8.1.4 QUERIES NOW SLOW!!!
Date: 2007-09-20 19:10:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello all,

Old servers that housed 7.4 performed better than 8.1.4 version...are there
any MAJOR performance hits with this version???

I set the postgresql.conf setting to equal that of 7.4 and queries still run
SLOW on 8.1.4...

I have perform maintenance tonight on the 8.1.4 server - any ideas what
actions I should take???

default stats set to 50 (in postgresql.conf)

1) Restart instance
2) Dump \ reload database
3) vacuum analyze
4) rebuild index database

I keep doing these same steps and nothing seems to work...I've read where
some are saying to VACUUM several times - then reindex (???)

Can someone tell me what they do during a NORMAL maintenance window on their
servers???

All this is NEW to me.

Thanks,
Michelle.