Re: ODBC queries die; "Unexpected protocol character from backend"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Frampton <frampton(at)codingstyle(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC queries die; "Unexpected protocol character from backend"
Date: 2001-12-03 14:41:21
Lists: pgsql-admin
Steve Frampton <frampton(at)codingstyle(dot)com> writes:
> I have a PostgreSQL 7.1.3 system which is accessed from an Apache CGI
> handler via ODBC (driven by libiodbc-3.0.5).  It has worked very well, but
> on two occasions queries just stop working.
> The Apache error log shows:
>   Unknown error;
>   Unexpected protocol character from backend (send_query), SQLSTATE=S1000
>   Unexpected protocol character from backend (send_query), SQLSTATE=S1000

This looks like the ODBC driver has somehow gotten out of sync with the
backend, and is looking for a message type character in the body of some
other message.  Hard to tell for sure though with so little info.  You
might need to add some debug instrumentation to the ODBC driver to try
to figure out what's happening.  At the very least, turn on query
logging at the postmaster so you can work out what query is causing this.