Re: Improving ALTER TYPE support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Jawed" <johnjawed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving ALTER TYPE support
Date: 2006-05-24 20:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"John Jawed" <johnjawed(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I guess I don't understand what one has to do with the other (SRF's
> returning records and OUT parameters). I always thought they were exclusive,
> could you elaborate?

(BTW, please don't post uselessly HTML-ified mail.)

If you write something like

create function foo (in p1 int, out r1 int, out r2 text)
returns setof record

then you've effectively got a function returning an anonymous composite
type (here, with one int and one text column). I don't see a case for
inventing a separate facility that will pretty much just duplicate this
functionality.