Re: checkpoint_timeout

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas F(dot)O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Cc: "PgSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpoint_timeout
Date: 2005-03-23 03:49:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Thomas F.O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
> Instinctively, it seems like it would be nice to have something similar
> for checkpoint_timeout, but is there any disadvantage to having a value
> "dramatically" higher than the default for general use, considering
> that checkpoint_timeout can only be set at server start?

Huh? IIRC you can change all the checkpoint parameters with SIGHUP.
You can *not* set them per-connection, that just doesn't make any
physical sense considering that the behavior involved is cluster-wide.

I doubt that checkpoint_timeout is very important to raise anyway.
Now checkpoint_segments is something you might well need to raise...