Re: SHOW TABLES

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-16 07:17:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 21:57 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> Exactly which commands are we going to support? With exactly what
> syntax? What information will be returned by each command? In what
> format? We have no agreement on any of these points.

The normal process is that we discuss the requirement for something,
then design it, discuss it some more, then build it, then discuss it
some more. For some things the process takes many years, for others it
is short, which can be because of resource stalls from people involved
or technical blockers etc.. Few things make it through.

Fairly obviously we aren't far down the process yet; each of those
stages takes time and effort. Some people skip the early stages of
effort, which is why their patches ultimately go nowhere. Regrettably, I
note that patch credit is given only for the later stages of development
which doesn't encourage general appreciation of the total process. Not
really sure why you wish to discuss general development processes, so
probably worth starting a new thread if you have more to say. I see
nothing special about this proposal with regards to dev process.

Anyway, we seem to have established almost unanimous approval for the
general requirement and so we move onto the next stage.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com