Re: testing plpython3u on 9.0beta2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris <rfusca(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing plpython3u on 9.0beta2
Date: 2010-06-25 05:57:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2010-06-23 at 07:17 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I can reproduce this, here. The problem seems to be that plpython
> only build either plpython2.so or plython3.so, but both languages
> expect a call handler called plython_call_handler. So once we load
> the shared library for one language, the other language just grabs the
> same call handler.

The problem is apparently that when CREATE LANGUAGE creates a language
from a pg_pltemplate entry, it creates the proname from the tmplhandler
name, and if it finds a fitting proname entry already, it used that one.
So when you create plpython2 first and plpython3 second, the pg_language
entries of the latter point to the pg_proc entries of the former.

If you fix that up manually (create additional pg_proc entries and fix
the pg_language entries to point there), it works better.