Re: Confusing Linux download page

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing Linux download page
Date: 2010-06-15 13:45:53
Lists: pgsql-www
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 04:15 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> It's not about not having a functioning package management tool - it's
> about there being a surprising number of users that don't care, can't
> be bothered to learn, or can't figure out what packages to download
> (remember, PostgreSQL consists of something like 5 - 10 different RPMs
> on Redhat, and it's not clear to a newbie what each is).

FWIW, I pushed something new to my repository. Installing minimal
PostgreSQL server is now done via a single command:

yum groupinstall "PostgreSQL Database Server"

which, I hope, will simplify PostgreSQL installation process via RPMS
(yeah, 1-click is still easier). This is similar to how Fedora provides
"PostgreSQL Server" group. My group has postgresql, -contrib, -server,
-libs packages, which is more than enough to install a PostgreSQL server
via RPMs.

This is only available for 8.4 - Fedora packages right now, but it will
also be available to the rest of the repository in the upcoming days
(I'm also working on another improvement, which I will announce when I'm
done)

I'm also documenting it on repository website, which will appear soon,
along with a PDF file.

To sum up: 2 commands will be enough to setup a PostgreSQL server on any
Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora machine:

* install repo RPM
* run the yum command above

Regards,