Re: proposal: support empty string as separator for string_to_array

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: support empty string as separator for string_to_array
Date: 2009-07-25 17:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have one idea, that should simplify string to char array
> transformation. The base is idea: between every char is empty string,
> so empty string is regular separator for string_to_array function.

There already is a definition for what string_to_array does with an
empty field separator, and that is not it. So this change would possibly
break existing applications. It does not seem either intuitively
correct or useful enough to justify that --- particularly seeing that
there's already another way to get the effect.