Re: fillfactor gets set to zero for toast tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fillfactor gets set to zero for toast tables
Date: 2010-05-31 18:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Takahiro Itagaki's message of mié may 26 03:32:56 -0400 2010:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie may 14 15:03:57 -0400 2010:
> >
> > > Maybe a better solution is to have some kind of notion of a default-only
> > > entry, which is sufficient to insert the default into the struct but
> > > isn't accepted as a user-settable item.
> >
> > This patch (for 8.4, but applies fuzzily to 9.0) implements this idea.
> > Note that there's no explicit check that every heap option has a
> > corresponding toast option; that's left to the developer's judgement to
> > add. I added the new member to relopt_gen struct so that existing
> > entries did not require changes in initializers.
>
> The new "default_only" field can be initialized only from the internal codes
> and is not exported to user definded reloptions. We could add an additional
> argument to add_xxx_reloption() functions, but it breaks ABI.

Do we really need default_only entries in user-defined reloptions?

We have yet to see any indication that anybody is using user-defined
reloptions at all ... It'd be good to have an use case at least (if
only to ensure that the API we're providing is sufficient).

If in the future we determine that we need to offer user-defined
default_only reloptions, perhaps we can add new entry points in the
reloptions API.