Re: PG 9.0 release timetable

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date: 2010-05-31 08:33:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 16:19 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Assuming we want a release Postgres 9.0 by mid-August, here is how the
> timetable would look:
>
> Need RC release to be stable for 1-2 weeks before final
> RC must be released by August 1
> Beta must be stable for 2-3 weeks before RC
> Stable beta must be released by early July
>
> So, we have 5-6 weeks to get a stable beta. Looking at the open issues:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items#Resolved_Issues
>
> it looks like we are doing OK, but we must continue progressing.

We've fixed most of the beta1 issues some time ago and beta testers are
waiting for next beta before doing further testing, so absence of new
bugs means very little.

We're currently at 4 weeks since last beta, with no new beta in sight.
If we want to stick to the timetable we should be releasing new beta
releases every 2-3 weeks, not every 4-5 weeks. Our objective (or
realisation of necessity) should be 4-5 betas each release.

Waiting for "stable" just introduces delay during beta, though makes
sense for RC. Delay means hackers take their eyes off the release and do
other things, which further slows down the release. Let's accept that
its OK to release another beta while the open items list isn't empty and
reap the next crop of bugs from betas.

If we're going enforce code windows we should be enforcing things
throughout the whole release cycle. We must keep a sensible pace if we
want to keep people involved in the process.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com