Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Date: 2010-04-30 06:40:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On tor, 2010-04-29 at 17:34 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I talked to a few people personally about this, and it seems there was a
> misunderstanding.  I was not asking if pg_migrator should be in 9.0
> beta1.  I was asking if we should think about putting it into a later
> 9.0 beta, like 9.0 beta3.  It would be another major 9.0 feature.

If it's supposed to be a major feature, then it should be in src/bin,
and fully integrated in the install, the documentation, etc.

If you want to put it in contrib because the standards are more lax
there, then by definition it's not really a major feature, it's just a
random feature that was snuck in.  You can't have it both ways.

My personal feeling is that pg_migrator should be fully integrated, but
it's too late for that, obviously.  Let's do it for 9.1.

I also think that the standards for contrib should not be so lax that a
completely new module can be added after beta.  (This is mostly informed
by the feeling that contrib should go away entirely.)