Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 17:37:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> There is not only a performance penalty

I've asked for evidence that recovery is any slower as a result of HS.
If we had some, I'm guessing we'd be tuning rather than discussing this.

> Enabling these switches turns on a whole lot of code that, with all
> due respect to those who have worked on it, is absolutely positively
> guaranteed to be full of bugs.

I understand that view and don't take offence at all, thank you for your
concern.

I wish to take seriously the possibility you may be correct, so I want
to squash unfounded rumours that will scare people into keeping HS
turned off, because that will keep the bugs in, rather than flush them
out so we can fix them.

Can we keep the default=on during beta and collect evidence before
making a final decision at release?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com