Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance
Date: 2010-04-25 19:07:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 20:25 +0200, Erik Rijkers wrote:

> Sorry if it's too much data, but to me at least it was illuminating;
> I now understand the effects of the different parameters better.

That's great, many thanks.

A few observations

* Standby performance is actually slightly above normal running. This is
credible because of the way snapshots are now taken. We don't need to
scan the procarray looking for write transactions, since we know
everything is read only. So we scan just the knownassignedxids, which if
no activity from primary will be zero-length, so snapshots will actually
get taken much faster in this case on standby. The snapshot performance
on standby is O(n) where n is the number of write transactions
"currently" on primary (transfer delays blur the word "currently").

* The results for scale factor < 100 are fine, and the results for >100
with few connections get thrown out by long transaction times. With
larger numbers of connections the wait problems seem to go away. Looks
like Erik (and possibly Hot Standby in general) has an I/O problem,
though "from what" is not yet determined. It could be just hardware, or
might be hardware plus other factors.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com