Re: ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: guru(at)ap(dot)nic(dot)in
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, jannapurna(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist
Date: 2007-02-23 07:02:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

guru(at)ap(dot)nic(dot)in writes:
> we have installed Linux advanced server-4 and the postgres-7.4.6.
> when we execute \d command following error is displaying
> ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

I don't know what "Linux advanced server-4" means, but if it's RHEL4
and you've got SELinux enabled, this is a known problem with early
releases of the SELinux policy for Postgres --- some steps of the
initdb process fail due to permissions problems, leaving you with
missing system views and such. Get a more recent release. You
*definitely* need something more recent than 7.4.6 as far as Postgres
itself is concerned; we're up to 7.4.16 in that branch, not to mention
that 7.4.anything is old...