Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb

From: Frank Jagusch <frank(at)jagusch-online(dot)de>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb
Date: 2010-04-08 16:59:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Donnerstag, den 08.04.2010, 10:27 +0900 schrieb Takahiro Itagaki:
> Frank Jagusch <frank(at)jagusch-online(dot)de> wrote:
>
> > "de_DE_phoneb" is the name of an alternative sorting in german (only a
> > few languages have alternate sorting). You may find some information
> > when you search the MSDN for "de_DE_phoneb", i.e.
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-en/library/ms404373.aspx
> > These alternate sorting is supported by the OS, but I don't know how it
> > is supported in the msvcrt.
>
> Hmmm, I found "de-DE_phoneb" in MSDN:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd374060
> but setlocale("de-DE_phoneb") always fails at least on my machine.

Is it a windows box? May be you need to install some german language
support?

> The doc says "de-DE_phoneb" is a locale name for
> MAKELCID(MAKELANGID(LANG_GERMAN, SUBLANG_GERMAN), SORT_GERMAN_PHONE_BOOK).
> Some of native Win32 APIs could accept the locale and sort-order
> combination, but setlocale() in CRT seems to reject it.
>
> So, you could use the locale if you find a setlocale-compatible name of
> "de-DE_phoneb".

As far as I investigated I didn't find one. I hoped to find such a
setlocale-compatible name or a hint where to search here...

> Or, you cannot use it, unless we modify PostgreSQL to
> use Win32 locale functions instead of standard libc ones -- but it is
> hardly acceptable.

I thought PostgreSQL is using OS specific functions for sorting (means
Win32 functions?). This sounds not good for my request. So I ask the
whole audience: Are others out there asking for a support for the
alternate sort orders? Is it worth to discuss further in this direction?

Here an other Idea: Is there a way to define a custom collation for a
database?

Thanks so far,
Frank Jagusch
--