Re: Migrate postgres to newer hardware

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: Renato Oliveira <renato(dot)oliveira(at)grant(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migrate postgres to newer hardware
Date: 2010-03-30 15:26:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yes, you only have that two possibilities, I think.

PITR is not an option. I tested the same, from 7.4 32bit to 7.4 64bit
and didn't work. Later, when I asked here, I was told why not.

The problem with slony is that you have to manually create tables in
destination database and all database model (procedures, triggers,
sequences, views, etc). If your application creates new tables, you will
have to deal with this prior starting migration, or at least disable the
creation of new tables.

Slony is asynchronous, so you will have to ensure that all changes have
been committed to new database before changing your applications or
exchanging IP addresses.
Slony also add many triggers and special tables to both databases
(master and slave). So, after migration, you will have to delete them.
It's not difficult but don't forget to do it.

By the way, are you sure your database is 160GB? Including indexes?
There are strategies in order to perform a faster pg_restore...
For example, if you migrate your database schema but don't create
indexes, then migrate data and finally create pending indexes restore
will be faster. With pg 8.4 restore is very fast, so it will take less
time that export.

Anyway, if you cannot leave database down for a day, I think slony will
be your best bet, although it's not exempt of problems. :)