Re: GSoC

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Anindya Jyoti Roy <anindyar(at)iitk(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: 2010-03-30 01:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 01:33 +0530, Anindya Jyoti Roy wrote:
> I have some idea of implementing am image database system, which will
> let you search against the image and fingerprint:
>
> The idea crudely is the following:
>
> I want to implement a image database system: This will have the
> following quality:
> 1> will store image along with the other attributes
> 2> the database search engine will be able to search for image also
> 3> it will list the matching images in the order of degree of match.
> 4> in this matching system I will likely use the system of dividing the
> image into important parts and match them.
> 5> The database will also contain fingerprints, that may be the primary
> key.
> 6> it will match the finger prints on the basis of the nodes and then
> making a bitmap of it and using the coordinates with some error it will
> match them
> 7> to include some accuracy in case of the angle of picture in case of
> search of equality we will introduce some logical amount of error.
> 8> this project can be coded by me as I have some previous experience in
> this type of project.
> 9> this will make a definitly good search engine as well as innovative
> and uncommon.

If you plan to spend your time refining complex image processing
algorithms, or learning about image processing as you go, I think the
project will be impossible to finish in one summer. Not only that, you
would need to find someone capable of reviewing such code.

I believe you should focus on a couple simple image processing
algorithms that you already understand very well. If you written image
processing code in the past, I believe it could be a good project. The
way I see it, you would need to:

1. Create a user-defined type for the fingerprint.
2. Create a user-defined function to transform a raster image into a
fingerprint.
3. Code to index fingerprints using the GiST or GIN API.
4. Code to search for fingerprints that match a given fingerprint,
using the GiST or GIN API and a custom operator.

After you have the basics completed, you can introduce more
sophisticated fingerprint representations and comparison algorithms.
That would probably be an ongoing effort after the GSoC project is
complete.

Regards,
Jeff Davis