Re: bgwriter, checkpoints, curious (seeing delays)

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bgwriter, checkpoints, curious (seeing delays)
Date: 2010-02-26 07:20:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 23:01 -0800, Tory M Blue wrote:

> Checkpoint_timeout is the default and that looks like 5 mins (300
> seconds). And is obviously why I have such a discrepancy between time
> reached and requested.

If you have a high load, you may want to start tuning with 15 minutes,
and bump it to 30 mins if needed. Also you may want to decrease segments
value based on your findings, since increasing only one of them won't
help you a lot.

As I wrote before, pg_stat_bgwriter is your friend here.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
http://www.gunduz.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz