Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 19:56:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 11:31 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > This is about what happens in production, not your laptop. The required
> > behaviour in-production is to assume that the sysadmin has configured it
> > correctly and we wait for them to fix the problem.
>
> 90% of our user base does not have a sysadmin.  Or, for that matter,
> even a professional DBA.

Your logic is terrible. If there is no sysadmin, who would be typing the
pg_stop_backup() ? Who would have misconfigured it in the first place?

If you have a concrete proposal, get off your soapbox and make one,
based upon the technical information you've received. There are clear
reasons why things are the way they are and those reasons will not be
ignored, by me.