Re: Using nicknames on planet?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using nicknames on planet?
Date: 2010-02-24 19:30:09
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 19:10 +0000, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!

> We're an international group, but I like to think of us as software
> neighbors. How you would introduce yourself to your neighbors? Most of
> us would use our real names.

I introduce myself as jd AND linuxpoet in every talk I give. Everyone in
this community knows me as either jd or linuxpoet. I think you would be
hard pressed to find someone that "knows me" as Joshua D. Drake, except
that is how I sign my email.

> That said, there are certainly people who are better known by
> nicknames than by real name.
>
> I support providing the ability for people to have a nickname
> displayed, but strongly recommend people still reference their real
> names.

+1, Let people identify themselves how they want to identify themselves.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.