Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 19:24:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 11:07 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I haven't ignored the issue. The behaviour you are complaining about was
> > put there following complaints that it didn't wait. You're ignoring the
> > point that there hasn't been any change in this release and so your
> > comments are unfounded in reality.
>
> I've posted a reproduceable bug (pg_stop_backup never terminating).
> Either say that you tried to reproduce it and failed, or accept that it
> exists.  Saying "that bug is impossible" is the denial of reality.

You haven't posted a reproduceable bug, nor is this new to 9.0.

You have just noticed a production feature that was specifically put
there by user request. The feature exists, has done for some time now
and it's acting as it should.

This is about what happens in production, not your laptop. The required
behaviour in-production is to assume that the sysadmin has configured it
correctly and we wait for them to fix the problem. The previous
complaints were from people who felt they wanted to avoid invalid
backups.

Personally, I'd say there were many issues that are new to 9.0 that
really are important, and that this isn't one of them.