Re: Using Postgresql Replication

From: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Manasi Save <manasi(dot)save(at)artificialmachines(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgresql Replication
Date: 2010-02-19 13:27:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 05:49 -0500, Manasi Save wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am very new to Postgres in that I have to setup replication. For
> Which I am very confused between Postgres's replication types.
>
> I want a sychronized but a master-slave replication.
>
> I have read about Slony-I replication method. But I am confused if I
> have to manually setup slony-I replication for all databases. As the
> interface which I have seen for slony-I setup, it has given
> replication tab under every database.

With Slony, you must set up every database, table, and sequence you want
to replicate yourself.

Slony is an asynchronous replication engine, btw.

> If I have to manually define replication master and slave node for any
> database I am creating then it is not a feasible  option for me to use
> Slony-I.
>
> SLONY-I = Is it possible that all the databases getting created on
> Master Node will be replicated to specified Slave node.

Not possible.

> So, I thought of PGCluster. But it comes with multi-master
> replication.
>
> PGCluster = Is it possible that I can configure Master-Slave
> replication in PGCluster.
>

> Please let me know if I am unclear in any point. Any input will be a
> great help.

What do you need replication for?  DR?  Query offloading?  Custom schema
or data transformations on a replica?

Can you justify the cost warm standby hardware?

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106