Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-02-11 18:11:01
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 19:29 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > * Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> [100211 09:17]:
> >
> >> Yeah, if you're careful about that, then this change isn't required. But
> >> pg_standby protects against that, so I think it'd be reasonable to have
> >> the same level of protection built-in. It's not a lot of code.
> >
> > This 1 check isn't, but what about the rest of the things pg_standby
> > does. How much functionality should we bring it? Ideally, "all" of it.
>
> Well, how about we bite the bullet then and add enough bells and
> whistles to the backend that pg_standby really isn't needed anymore, and
> remove it from contrib?
>
> Looking at the options to pg_standby, we're not missing much:

You're attitude to this makes me laugh, and cry.

Removing pg_standby can be done and if you manage it well, I would be
happy. I laugh because it seems like you think I have some ego tied up
in it. It's hardly my finest hour of coding, especially since I've not
had the ability to improve it much before now.

Not missing *much*?! I cry because you're so blase about missing one or
two essential features that took years to put in place. Keeping
pg_standby at least guarantees we can do something about it when we
discover you didn't do a good enough job removing it.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com