Re: plpython3

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpython3
Date: 2010-02-01 21:30:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 16:13 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut escribi?:
> > >
> > > I find that curious, because much of the criticism about the current
> > > PL/Python can be traced back to the fact that the implementation used to
> > > be an exact copy of PL/Perl.
> >
> > Perhaps the problem is that PL/Perl used to be unwieldy back when
> > PL/Python was created.  PL/Perl has definitely seen a lot more activity.
>
> I would love to know why PL/Python can't be incrementally improved like
> the rest of our code.

It has been. That is exactly what PeterE has been doing.

However, if you look at this whole thread, you will see the James has a
very different view of the implementation. One that at least appears to
be more advanced and "pythonic" than our version.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.