Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-27 21:55:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 23:31 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> You are completely right that "PostgreSQL" is not a "database", but it's
> tempting to use it in a slogan because it's shorter and more
> recognizable. But "database system" is also not correct, and arguably
> not as short and recognizable. So you'd get the worst of both worlds
> that way.

Technically, that's true. I was trying for some kind of compromise, but
I can see why you don't like it.

I would like to get away from calling PostgreSQL a "database" in any
official documentation, slogans, or anything else. In my opinion, our
slogan shouldn't add to the confusion, particularly when that same
confusion may be driving much of the NoSQL movement (and pulling people
away from systems like postgresql).

We don't have to use that language in the slogan at all necessarily --
for instance, Greg Stark suggested "Liberate Your Data!"

Regards,
Jeff Davis