Re: [HACKERS] regression test results - Linux, cvs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] regression test results - Linux, cvs
Date: 1998-10-29 19:49:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> btw, vacuum crash  when postmaster starts with -B 1024 option
>> seems fixed now !!!! I tried many times 'vacuum analyze' and never
>> get problem ! Probably this is a bonus of last fixes :-)

> My guess is the catalog changes Tom did fixed it.  Vacuum analyze uses
> them quite a bit, and buffer cache size could affect which duplicate was
> picked.

Hmm, that would be an unexpected side benefit, wouldn't it!  It could be
true, if vacuum depends on pg_operator entries.  That'd explain why the
rest of us couldn't duplicate Oleg's problem: I'll bet no one who tried
had tables containing the data types that had bogus entries.  (In fact,
I imagine you need to have some *indexes* on those data types before
you'd see such a problem in vacuum, no?)

It occurs to me that there ought to be a VACUUM ANALYZE somewhere in
the regression suite, probably at the end where it has a whole database
of weird stuff to chew on.

Next:From: Jon BullerDate: 1998-10-29 20:30:02