Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date: 2009-12-31 09:04:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2009-12-30 at 13:23 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I'd like to see at
> least the outline of an API before we go any further. JSON is, shall
> we
> say, lightly specified, and doesn't appear to have any equivalent to
> XPath and friends, for example. How will we extract values from a
> JSON
> object? How will we be able to set values inside them?

I think the primary use will be to load a JSON value into Perl or Python
and process it there.  So a json type that doesn't have any interesting
operators doesn't sound useless to me.  The features I would like to get
out of it are input validation and encoding handling and smooth
integration with said languages.