Re: alpha3 release schedule?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada(at)kokolink(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date: 2009-12-22 17:15:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 18:40 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> The issue I mentioned had nothing to do with starting from a shutdown
> checkpoint - it's still a problem if you keep the standby running
> through the restart cycle in the master) - but maybe you thought it was?
> Or was there something else?

Strangely enough that exact same problem already happens with
archive_mode, and we see a fix coming for that soon also.

That fix takes the same approach as HS already takes. HS will flip out
when it sees the next record (checkpoint). The only way out is to
re-take base backup, just the same.

Even after that fix is applied, HS will still work as well as
archive-mode, so if anything HS is ahead of other functionality.

Fixing obscure cases where people actively try to get past configuration
options is not a priority. I'm not sure why you see it as important,
especially when you've argued we don't even need the parameter in the
first place.

You've been perfectly happy for *years* with the situation that recovery
would fail if max_prepared_transactions was not correctly. You're not
going to tell me you never noticed? Why is avoidance of obvious
misconfiguration of HS such a heavy priority when nothing else ever was?

I'm going to concentrate on fixing important issues. I'd rather you
helped with those.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com