Re: Resource temporarily unavailable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nico" <nicohmail-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: 2004-12-25 03:27:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
"Nico" <nicohmail-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> topframe gets data from two tables, so does the left and the right. They
> each make a connection and a resultset for each (6 of them) query based on
> those tables. Additionally, they use a common table for metadata.
> After a few refreshes(three or four), he gives me an error: resource
> temporarily unavailable. How can I resolve this issue?

I think you're running into a processes-per-user limit, preventing the
postmaster from spawning more backend processes.  You can and should
raise that limit (see your kernel documentation for details --- without
knowing what platform you're running on, I can't help).  But you should
also rethink the strategy of opening a separate database connection for
each individual query.  The overhead of doing things that way is
enormous.