Re: ALTER TABLE .. < ADD | DROP > OIDS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE .. < ADD | DROP > OIDS
Date: 2002-12-06 20:19:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> I wish to create an alter command which will allow a table to have OIDs
> added or removed.

> The tricky part appears to be changing the tuples themselves.

Are you sure you need to?  Methinks the lazy approach of letting them
auto-adjust on next UPDATE should work as well for OIDs as for user
columns.

There might be a few places that look at the pg_class.relhasoids
field where they should be examining the tuple header has-oid bit,
but I don't think there are many.