Re: Upgrade time, dump+restore trouble.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade time, dump+restore trouble.
Date: 2007-10-17 23:01:33
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Drop the constraints in the source database.

> That would be my workaround for the problem. But isn't it somehow
> desirable that pg_dumpall | psql "allways" would work?

Well, sure.  The reason why this sort of thing is deprecated is exactly
that the database can't promise it will work all the time.  The DB has
no way to know that your constraints do something they're not supposed
to, and in particular no way to infer that there's a specific data

We do allow you to do it, but if it breaks you get to keep both pieces.