Re: Patch committers

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch committers
Date: 2009-11-12 07:55:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2009-11-11 at 22:30 -0500, Emmanuel Cecchet wrote:
> On the other end, how do we, simple developers, become better to
> reach
> the status of committers? How can we endure the constant bashing
> especially in the early stages of our learning phase (especially if
> you
> are not paid to do it)? How do we justify to our employers that they
> should persist through this long process without visibility, so that
> eventually their contribution will make it back to the community?

That's basically just it: Assume bashing is part of the process. Don't
think of it as bashing. Take the constructive criticism from it, ignore
the rest. Assume only one out of three feature ideas will make it.
Apply the prerequisite amount of gamesmanship to the system and tune
your bikeshedding detectors. Don't take anything personally. Live and
learn.