Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-11-10 14:39:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 08:59 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > All of this *also* applies to shared_preload_libraries. We also need to
> > be able to specify new load libraries without editing the same darn
> > parameter.
>
> And to search_path, though that's even more complex because the order of
> the entries is significant.

Yes, good thought.

It would be useful to have some way to express dependency there, rather
than just sequence.

search_path_add = 'my_module1, my_module2'
search_path_depends = 'postgis'

So that we can assemble a search_path with final sequence based upon the
dependency tree, rather than risk a weird sequence.

We might need to have a special keyword in the main search_path to show
where additions go, e.g.
search_path = '$user, $install, public, pg_catalog'

This is beginning to sound like a very workable mechanism for plugins.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com