Automatic recovery process

From: Grzegorz Tańczyk <goliatus(at)polzone(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Automatic recovery process
Date: 2005-12-28 12:03:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Here is what I see in log file:

WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the curre
nt transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and po
ssibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat yo
ur command.
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG: database system was interrupted at 2005-12-10 23:28:04 CET
FATAL: the database system is starting up
(and the last line repeats on each connection generated by website
backend).

I'm almost sure that it is caused by httpd, but it is not the main
problem ATM.

My question is about the last line. Does those connections slow down
database startup process? Now it looks like that they do, because
when I shutdown backend then database starts immediatel, but I'm not
sure, so I would like to hear clear answer :-)

Second question: what is the fastest way to detect database start up process using JDBC?

Thanks for help.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz mailto:goliatus(at)polzone(dot)pl