Re: AWS adds MySQL

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AWS adds MySQL
Date: 2009-10-27 21:55:45
Lists: sfpug
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 13:40 -0700, Brian Ghidinelli wrote:
> It would be great promotion for it to be natively
> supported on Amazon.

This is an issue for -advocacy, I think. Try running postgresql in
various cloud environments, show off the cool stuff, and report the bad
stuff. I'm sure you could make some interesting articles, and postgresql
could get some good press.

Running database systems in a cloud is fairly experimental. So,
experimentation and results tend to get press attention.

You make a good point that we want PostgreSQL to be a prominent player
in any successful experiments. However, we don't want to pretend that
any database system in the cloud is more stable and predictable than it
actually is. Otherwise, we just end up with disappointed users.

Regarding Amazon specifically: if customers demand it, they will provide
it.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis