Re: Postmaster hangs

From: Karen Pease <meme(at)daughtersoftiresias(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster hangs
Date: 2009-10-27 05:50:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> OK, so there's nothing shrieklingly obviously wrong with what the
> postmaster is up to. But what about the backend that's stopped
> responding? Try connecting gdb to that "postgres" process once it's
> stopped responding and get a backtrace from that.

Okay -- I started up a psql instance, which immediately locks up.  I
then attached gdb to it and got this:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00fe2416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00fe2416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

I also tried it on the psql instance that ran the update that caused the
lockup:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00a09416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00a09416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb)

> You can find out a bit more about what the kernel is doing using the
> "magic" keyboard sequence "ALT-SysRQ-T" from a vconsole (not under X).

Nothing happened.  Nothing useful in dmesg -- certainly no stacktraces.

	- Karen