Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit
Date: 2001-10-23 04:11:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> The behavior currently is rather broken according to the results of the
> discussion on general. Do we really want a whole 'nother major version cycle
> to pass before this kludge is fixed? Six months to a year down the road?
> The longer this behavior is in the code, the harder it's going to be to
> remove it, IMNSHO.

I agree completely with these points, which is why I'd rather have seen
it dealt with (one way or t'other) in 7.2. But we appear to have a lot
of people who don't think it's been discussed adequately in
$PREFERRED_FORUM ... and the one thing I *really* don't want is to hold
up 7.2 beta anymore for this issue. Let's stuff this worm back in the
can and get on with it.